14 February 2008

Roses are blue

As usual, that overrated 'holiday' has fallen upon us today. Panicky boyfriends and absentminded husbands are running to the nearby gift shops buying the RM11.99 roses in a quick attempt to, well, not get scolded at.

Or cried at.

Or thrown at, for that matter.

At this very moment, I'm convinced Valentine’s Day is nothing but a mere sham. It’s the king of all marketing hoodwink.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate Valentine’s but it’s because I stopped believing in them back in high school after a ghastly incident which I beg to be excused from explaining or rather, I will not go into details as this blog is as public as it can be.

The other night, I was watching How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, the only thing that kept me from enjoying was me thinking what an moron Kate Hudson was in that movie, I mean, if you really know what you’re doing, it doesn’t take ten days to lose a guy. You can do it in ten seconds. But the thing about romantic comedies is that they are based on one of the few moronic ideas, none of them which ever happened in real life. Both the hero and heroine hate each other and go lashing at it, like cats and dogs, only to realize much later they’re attracted to each other one or both of them is blocked in some way, and have problems committing because they always try to please everyone. They’ve either got an alcoholic father like in Runaway Bride or some other nonsensical trauma. But suddenly, some magical therapeutic thing happens to make them get over it within seconds, and they rush back to Richard Gere or Julia Roberts and fall into their arms because everything has been resolved and now they can get married happily ever after, which is even more bullshit then the rest because thing like that never happen in a flash.

And anyway, what I always want to know about romantic comedies is: what happens after they end? It’s easy enough to fall into someone’s arms, but what happens after that?

I’ve ranted enough only to cover romantic comedies, don’t get me started on pop songs.

No comments: