15 March 2008

Hold on tight, with all my might

I think I've delayed this post for as long as I could. I wish I could avoid it altogether but…..

I don’t want my readers to wonder to no end wondering if I fell of a swing and went tumbling into a deep state of coma, do I?

I shall bravely and courageously type this out without shedding a tear whatsoever.

To those who don’t already know, because I’ve only been lamenting about it for half a gazillion times or so, I’ll be leaving for Sabah next Tuesday. I’ll be leaving my safety, comforts of home, secured circle of friends, in trade for three months at the National Service.

Oh yes I will. I feel like I'm, walking into lion’s cage without a weapon. No, I feel like I'm being served on a dish to a lion… Gah.

Below is a list of items I will need to bring along. I’ve been racking my brains for essential and necessary items to bring. But Mum just tosses them outta my already over-the-brim luggage bag.

I already packed the ones in green. While the ones in red are what I am yet to obtain. The ones in pink are inaccessible.

Loose fitting shirts
Clothes hangers
Fork and spoon

Shower foam

Pink shampoo
My best friend in bed, Mr. Blanket
Lotion
Sunblock
Sunblock
More sunblock
A mini bucket(?)

Brush and detergent

Mobile phone & charger
Novels

Double Stuff Oreos, thank you Crystal!
Sanitary Pads

Stamps, envelopes and all you people’s house address!!!
Telephone Cards, I might have the urge to call home on weekdays :(

Nail clippers
Padlock

Vitamin C’s
Towel

A lifetime supply of maggi
Waterbottles
Toothbrush and toothpaste
Shoes

Medicines
Slippers

Alarm clock
My splendid bed
My trusty water heater

Code lock for suitcases
Stationary
Marker pen, to label my uniforms
Notebook
Backpack
Best friend, Crystal Chow

Did I leave anything out? Cos I swear my brain is so numb I can hardly think.

Lately, one too many people have been asking me about National Service.

First of all, I am very scared, I am very nervous, and I am very excited. In many perspectives.

Truth be told, I am actually very tired. I am just going to NS, expecting the worse and am going to take whatever comes flying in my face and hope for the best. I have a feeling I will get quite annoyed during the whole ordeal, but that is life so I've just got to suck it in, bear the cold waters, early mornings and go. NS may be fun (or it may not), NS may be a waste of time, but I must go through it for dad’s not gonna spit out a thousand bucks to exempt me from it, and that is that.

I swear, my mother is like a precious gem. There’s one and only one in the entire world.

Would you laugh at your daughter when she cries and grieve over her pitiable SPM results? Would you?

Because she did just that. I call her mummy. With the U not the O. She chastises me of the ‘unnecessary’ knick knack I'm bringing to Sabah claiming it’s taking up space but she packs little bags that I'll never use. She calls up all her friends whose daughters or sons went for National Service just to ask if I would need to bring a pail or what airplane I'll be taking. Or is the traditional baju a must to bring. Then she calls again to confirm whatever nonsense idea I came up with just to dishearten her from packing fifteen thousand shirts for me. Which she later on agrees with me saying only need a few la, like it was my fault, and progresses to mumble about toiletries. She tells me I'm crap at packing. She empties the entire luggage bag to discover the hidden stash of M&Ms between the folds of my shirts.

Being Cina, mum say's Milo 3in1 are a rip-off swindle.

I agree with her.

Mummy… I love you. Even when you were giving me that pep-talk about being neat and tidy, and eating my vegetable, or when you went on and on about watching my actions and speech when in the forest as there just might be sprits lurking around the corner. I kept quiet through the whole ordeal. Only because I was on the verge of crying my eyes out, and I didn’t want you to know. That woman has the power to get me into tears within a matter of seconds these days. She’s not bashful from taking full advantage of it too. I'm gonna miss you guys at home so so much la.

Even you Tall Sister :)



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, u actually already packed ur stuff!
that good..
btw, fyi, now is 1.34 am, on the17th of march, n i hvnt start packing at all!
zomg..!