15 May 2008

Tales From NS

It is my pleasure and delight to announce that Szetoo Weishya is back on West Malaysian soil, polluted air, fast moving cars, and all.
National service is a place where we're all forced to grow up/mature in one way or another. It in fact does toughen you up.

For instants, I am a lot stronger and wiser about the weather because I've been washing most of my clothes with my awesome bucket for the past month. It is no joke washing those blue grungy thick NS towels and running back to the dorms when it starts to rain to get your clothes, especially when the dorms are yards away.


Weight-wise, I've been told that I've put on some. I think its becos' of the horrible food we have to eat more or less everyday out of hunger. There was one time where we had to eat fried fish for about a week. It's the same fish (full of boney bones) but with different sauces. There were days where the food was beyond dreadful so we'd bail on the meal queue and snuck off to purchase maggi cups or just hold our breaths and ate rice with soggy vegetables. :(


It's not ALL bad in NS though, really. I've picked up a couple of local Sabahan songs and made a lot of friends from different ethnic groups! The trainers are mostly Christians so they don't make our lives as miserable as other camps.

There have been instances of people seeing ghosts and stuff like that but I’m usually too tired by the end of the day to be scared. Okay, maybe now and again I do get frightened and we'll all huddle in the centre of the dorm with our blankets and jimjams. Lights out is at 11pm and the night guards on duty will knock on our dorm doors by 4am to wake us up. Then we'll have to be down in the 'padang kawad' by 5.30am for our Physical Training.


It's along story. I'll blog more and 'hurai' about it once I manage to upload all the pictures up.

P/s: Many many thanks to Eleanor Rigby who has been all this while updating this blog so....religiously? Haha :D

No comments: