12 December 2009

How to Stop Hitting the Snooze Button

I've mentioned my difficulties in waking up recently and someone responded to it by sending me this link on how to overcome this dilemma. Although, I do think half of the points are ridiculously unpractical giving my current living situation, I found this article highly amusing and emitted about two gallons of laughing gas. Hehee.



Anyway, here goes..

  1. Set a timer so that a bright light turns on simultaneously with your alarm. When the light hits your face, you'll be less likely to fall asleep, even if you keep your eyes closed.
  2. Consider setting an outdoor-rated timer which turns a space heater on in your bedroom, for about an hour before you want to wake up. Waking up to temperature stimulus is much gentler on your neurovascular system, and you may find that you'll even want to bounce out of bed and start your day under extra-warm conditions.
  3. If you drink coffee, get a coffee pot with a timer. Prepare it before going to bed, set it for 30 minutes before your alarm and not only will your coffee be ready when you get up, the smell of the freshly brewed coffee may help you to get out of bed.
  4. Put your alarm clock on the other side of the room. You have no choice but to answer it, and before you know it, you will be out of your bed. Works best if you share your home with others so you must answer to not annoy them.
  5. Set a second alarm on your cell phone, computer, another alarm clock, or whatever you can hear from wherever you need to put it. Place the other alarm by your coffee pot, in the bathroom, downstairs, in the hall, or whatever works in your home. Then set it for 5 minutes after the first alarm on your regular alarm clock. When you wake up, you will know that you need to go and shut off the second alarm, before it also goes off.
  6. If all else fails, lock the alarm clock in a box with a combination lock and attach the internal clock speaker to an external stereo speaker. That way you’ll have to turn on the light and work out the combination before you can turn it off.

  7. Consider super gluing your snooze button in order to make it impossible to use. Be careful not to destroy your alarm clock though! (May have unintended effect of encouraging use of the button that completely turns off the alarm)
  8. Setting your alarm for the last possible second before you have to scramble to get to work (or whatever) can help break the snooze habit.
  9. You can also invest in a flying or moving alarm clock that you have to find or fetch to turn off!

Number 4 is unseemly possible because my roommate would probably set fire on my underwear drawer when I'm in classes. Number six and seven got me laughing until I nearly peed in my pants. Number 5 never works. I have about three alarms set on a daily basis and they're all located in opposite ends of my side of the room. And the one in red is something I would like to try out.

No comments: