21 September 2008

Having a Break, Having a Kit Kat ( finally!)

The temporary freedom has finally begun!

Last Friday was officially the day curtains came closing in on my first semester at college of far far away. Unofficially, it ended coupla weeks where lectures and tutorials gave in and left us with the sole aim of studying our hearts out, for me at least. And I swear, I have NEVER studied so hard in my seventeen years of existence. There were times it was tiresomely mundane, almost depressing.

Exams, at long last, are over. I have two weeks of holiday (yes, my college can be quite stingy, particularly with holidays. But when they do give us holidays, it is like Christmas arriving early). I have plenty to blog about but it simply won't do to type a five page long blogpost and have my already diminishing readers turn off by it, would it?

College, to put it into words, isn't much different from the customary school we're so used to apart from the freedom in choice of clothing which I got so sick of having to decide what to wear in the morning I couldn't be bothered. Only now, I was living yards and miles away from home. Which means freedom freedom freedom? The first few weeks were spent adjusting to the independence dropped in my lap (I did not abuse it if that's what you're thinking), taking full advantage of my supernatural ability to speak well in the language few in my college did, and getting lost in college grounds.

It was horrible because I felt like a foreigner all the time. It was horrible because I could hardly make one cina face from another. It was horrible because I was labelled the class banana. It was horrible because I looked forward to coming home since Monday. It was horrible because canteen food sucks. Ultimately, it was worst because I was all on my own.

My quota of patience would run dangerously low by end of the week, I'll shove my stuffs into Jun Keat's mini vehicle and attempt to sleep my frustrations away before reaching Subang. By the time the weekend has come and gone, I'd be recharged to face college all over again, and that's how it was, week after week. Hostel life was okay, if not bearable. I loved the jungle like surrounding, the cool air, making it appropriate to sleep at just about at time of the day, during the nights; the silence was piercing, the starry nights, and if you got up early enough (or jumped into bed late enough), the rooster's morning call could be heard alongside with the morning azan. And the rain. Don't get me started on the rain. It dampens my spirits to do just about anything.

Being the hardworking soul that I never was, I completed nearly every tutorial even if it took me three hours. I tell you ah, the amount of pressure I could feel mounting on me was enough to send me into depression. Not finishing homework was a unspoken of sin in TARC. Statistics was a nightmare, one I got over with given time. Tinboy was great help in that department, he made me draw boxes for all the probability questions! That is absurd.

After a few weeks (or months) I began to feel like I was treading on water instead of drowning in the sea of cina faces I can never seem to remember. All in all, I was feeling a lot more comfortable here than I thought I'd feel at this point. More comfortable than I had ever expected to feel. It's funny how perceptions change huh?

No comments: