27 November 2008

You Made It Happen

And so, it's been a whole month since I've stepped into eighteenhood. Until this moment, dare I say, it’s been fun; considering the privileges that came along with the big one eight. I’ve been enjoying it, making my way into 18sx movies without a glitch , getting a RED bank card of my own and such. But until recently, I hadn’t realize that there was a trade off, that I might not get away with what mindlessly innocent excuses or fit into places where I’d been comfortable.

And you would agree with me that we learn and experience new things everyday, no? Ah well, today I found out my blood type! Yes yes.. in addition to not knowing what my chinese name means, unable to use a chopstick and differentiate one dialect from another and sit in a massage chair without revealing my jakuness, I also dont know my blood type. But I finally know it! Because Chris and I were suppose to meet up and study for next week’s tests but he wanted to head over to college hall for the blood donation event going on, I jumped at the chance. I’ve always always wanted to give away my blood for a good cause. But my fear for doctors and needles are too….overpowering.

The thought of it just paralyzes me fear. Having a chopstick thick needle sticking down my arm I mean, not the blood part.

And so, I’ve always come up with a string of reasons not to donate. Not that it wasn’t true, because I was underage and I was outside the healthy weight range, until recently that is. Failing driving more than once has sent me into the deepest ends of depression has ever seen. And thus, my appetite has been massively growing. That’s why I hate it so much when I get depressed over a matter and tend to be unaware of how much I eat.


Eh, wait. I'm sidetracking again.

The entire process from filling in forms asking funny, nitty gritty questions on my health history to moment of walking out the hall a certified donor took nearly two hours. I amazingly managed to extend the whole process with my super abilities of noobness, don't ask :)

After the paperwork was done and dealed with, we had to wait to have our blood type identified by having our finger pricked. That was no ant bite okay Chris, you big bluffer. And and…there was some complications going on when identifying my blood type and pea brain Botak behind me had to wonder aloud if I was an alien. Eh can don’t say thing like a moment like this ah. I almost believed in it okay. Anyhow, matters got resolved after several more tests. Chris’s an O-type and I’m an AB. So contrast lah the both of us, I can receive blood from all blood types while he can donate to all blood types but only receive from the same blood type.




After having our blood pressure and collecting the ‘goodie bag’ containing test tube, sticky labels, a brilliant red booklet where each time I donate it'll be recorded in it, evil needle and the blood bag of course, we were strapped to the chair by the arm.

I asked nearly everyone I knew in that hall if it was gonna hurt, and I could swear they secretly ganged up to come up with the common idea that it wouldn’t hurt a slightest bit. I believe people way too easily. Because it DID hurt, very painful pulak tu.


The process of having the needle shoved into the right vein is NOT a quick and painless. Particularly when there’s a problem detecting a vein and the nurse starts telling you that nothing is wrong and that you’re a special case. -___-


It reminded me of the moment’s time I had to extract bermany-many tooth for braces. Dad always always accompanied without fail despite me clawing him while the dentist does her thing, yanking out my tooth. I was so nervous and kept bugging Chris with what if questions. What if I pengsan halfway through donating? What if my blood stop flowing halfway? What if my blood got rejected? What if the nurse poked some artery instead of the supposed vein? What if the hall caught fire and I can’t run because of the stupid needle strapping me down to the chair? What if I took much longer time, would you leave? It could have happen right?

When I'm, nervous, I blab. Sorry :S

For the few subsequent minutes that seemed like hours, after the study mate had his fill of laughing his head out on me, the 350ml bag filled up with red liquid and the needle was removed. I could literally hear angels singing. Gawd.


I walked out dengan bangganya, a certified donor. HAHAHA. Saw that a not people. I can be an air head because I just can :D



Then after, I wasn't faint or dizzy, or passing out. Instead, I has this warm fuzzy feeling inside as the nurse packaged my blood up and bandaged my arm. Donating blood was the best feeling in the world, as I knew it would go to someone who really needed it.

Did you know, one pint of blood, which is what I donated, has the potential to save up to three people's lives, and most blood drives are for local people in need. With some something like that as an incentive, why not give?



Signing Off, A Half Coward but Proud Blood Donor.
P/s: I am still awaiting the day you and I give away our organs best friend ;)

1 comment:

lele said...

i went past that finger pricking stage too! just for the sake of finding out my blood type xD we have something in common... we share the same blood type ;)